Find places on the Isle of Man with Timeenough.

Christ Church-Laxey

Church Hill, Laxey, IM4 7AX

The population of Laxey increased by 25% in the late 1840’s, largely due to the mining industry, which separates Old Laxey (on the coast) from New Laxey. George Dumbell, who was chairman of the Laxey Mining Company, set out to build a church in the centre of Laxey, so that nobody could complain that a place of worship was too far away.  In 1850 the “Manx Sun” announced its construction and the Miner’s Christ Church was consecrated in 1856.

The elegant blue and gold painted organ, is by Moses Morgan and unusual in design, created to fit into a small space.

The Church is now the Laxey visitors Centre as well as holding  Regular Services and special celebrations at Christmas.

 

Opening Hours

Sunday Service at 10.30am
Visitor Centre open 10am-4pm.