At the turn of the 20th century the Island was a hugely popular holiday destination and Douglas Head had many attractions, most of which have long since disappeared however the amphitheatre still remains. On this stage took place many shows including minstrels, pierrots, and dramas and the popularity of these can be seen from the large number of concrete steps which formed the seating (originally covered with wooden slats ). Cine footage exists of these entertainments and can be seen at the Manx Museum. The popularity of the headland as a destination never recovered after the war, with several of the other attractions being closed in 1939 and never re-opening. The amphitheatre is still in occasional use.