Fort Island or St Michael’s Island is joined by a causeway to Langness. The fort was built by the Seventh Earl of Derby and later a lighthouse in a wooden tower was built inside it for the benefit of the local fishermen. An early sketch of this island dating from 1643 shows an initial square fort rather than the circular remains that can now be seen.
This is one of three tiny islets off the coast of the Island. It is also known as St Michael’s Isle. This relates to the small chapel now also in ruins but which pre-dates the fort. The chapel is 31 feet long and 14 feet wide and was probably built in the late 12th century in the Norman style.
Fort Island is a fabulous spot for Stargazing.