St. Lupus/Kirk Malew

St Lupus Kirk Malew Church, Church Bends, Crossag Road, Ballasalla, IM9 3EF

Built around the 12th centenary and embellished in the late 18th centenary. The Church is believed to have been originally dedicated to St Lua or Molua, a celtic Saint who also gave his name to Killaloe in Ireland. However, the Roman Catholic Church objected strongly to Irish Saints who did not appear on their calendar and from the beginning of the 15th century, the church was dedicated to St Lupus, the 5th century Bishop of Troyes in France. It is customary, for the Bishop of the Diocese to give his first and last sermon on the Island, in this Church.

The Church is a deceptively simple, whitewashed building, with a double bell tower. The windows are domed and stained glass. The East Window, is the oldest coloured glass church window on the Island, dating from 1704. The South facing wall has a sundial. The nave is the oldest part of the building.

The Church houses a memorial to illiam Dhone created by Bryan Kneale RA in 2006, a glass fruit bowl by Coleen Corlett, Celtic Crosses, a War Memorial and some pieces, including the alter which were salvaged from St Mary’s (The Garrison) in Castletown, when it became offices in the 1980s.

The Churchyard across the road contains the unusual Hassel Gravestone and the Sothern 100 Memorial Garden.

The Church provides self-serve coffee, tea & biscuits, and walkers are very welcome to eat their packed lunches inside. The Reverend and Wardens will give tours on request.

Opening Hours

Open daily 9.30am to Dusk.
Sunday Service: 9.30am