The Laxey Wheel (also known as Lady Isabella) is built into the hillside above the village of Laxey. It is the largest working waterwheel in the world and was designed by Robert Casement. The wheel has a 72-foot-6-inch (22.1 m) diameter, is 6 feet (1.8 m) wide and revolves at approximately three revolutions per minute. The Wheel features on the reverse side of the Manx £20 note.
Built in 1854 to pump water from Glen Mooar it was named “Lady Isabella” after the wife of Lieutenant Governor Charles Hope, the Island’s Governor at that time. The Great Laxey Mine employed over 600 miners at its peak, producing lead, copper, silver and zinc, until it closed in 1929. In 1965 the Manx Government bought the wheel and site. The wheel was restored and in 1989 became a Manx National Heritage Trust site.