During the rule of Lord Stanley and Lord Athol, all private Quern mills were banned and the Manx people had to take their corn to the Lord’s mill to be ground.
In 1858, Richard Rowe requested the industrial engineer, Robert Casement, who had designed and built Lady Isabella, to construct a mill in Laxey Glen adjacent to the Laxey River to enable the river to provide power to drive mill equipment. The Mill was completed in 1860 and the first miller was Rowe, Thomas Corlett.
Henry Robinson was asked by the Government to take over the mill in 1988.
For a full history of the mill, recipes and a virtual tour please visit their website.