In 1830, and already aged 60, Sir William Hillary took part in the rescue of the “St George” while it foundered on Conister Rock. No lives were lost. As a result he commissioned the Tower of Refuge, which stands on the small islet at the entrance to Doulas Harbour (St Mary’s Rock/Conister Rock). He also established the Royal National Lifeboat Institution primarily through private donations.
Since 1824 the RNLI have rescued more then 140,000 lives while loosing over 600 servicemen to dangerous waters. On average the life boat crews give assistance to twenty two people a day.