Mill Street, Ballasalla, IM9 3DB
Gifted by King Olaf in 1134, to the Sauvignac Order of Monks from Furness, the Abbey became Cistercian by the time the church was completed in 1257. Developed as the Isle of Man’s seat of religious power
housing the main body of knowledge and literacy for the Island. The visitor centre tells its story from 1134 to the present day.
Rushen Abbey is usually open seasonally (from Easter – October).
Rushen Abbey is accessible to visitors using wheelchairs although assistance may be required on some of the gravel paths. Motorised scooters are welcome on site.
Rushen Abbey also has a gift shop and refreshments (hot drinks/snacks) are available.
Photo curtesy of Manx National Heritage.
November to April: Closed
April to June: 10-4pm
June to September: 10-5pm
September to November: 10-4pm