G.W. Dumbell of Dumbell’s Bank donated the clock to the people of Douglas in 1887 to commemorate the the Golden Jubilee of Queen Victoria. It was manufactured by Walter Macfarlane & Co. at the Saracen Works, Glasgow who later used the castings again for the Hastings Clock erected at Rotherham in 1912. Originally it had a horse trough at the base and a drinking fountain. The eight day clock was run by a weight mechanism in the tower and the cameos of Queen Victoria were lit by gas lamps.