The Laxey Working Mens Institute was opened in 1876 as part of the Institute movement, which provided educational and social opportunities for working men. It was built for the mine workers “to free their minds from the slavery of ignorance”.
Between 2007 and 2011 the building was completely renovated by Volunteers and through donations.
The Institute is a much loved Community centre. The venue is available for hire and holds regular meetings for local organisations.