Herring Tower designed and built by Thomas Brine in 1823 is a copy of the tower in Peel Castle. A second tower was built on Douglas head and later incorporated into the Douglas Head Hotel in 1869 which was itself demolished and turned into flats in 1999 keeping the tower.
Both towers were created as landmarks to help maritime navigation.
This is one of the seven Dark Sky sites on the Island. It is also a popular spot for birdwatching, shark and dolphin spotting.