This classic recipe of Manx Bonnag is from Sue Woolley’s “My Grandmother’s Cookery Book”.
- 8oz Plain Flour
- 1-2oz Butter or Margarine
- 1 cup of Buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon Bicarbonate of Soda
- 1 teaspoon Cream of Tartar
- Pinch of Salt
- Sift the flour and salt into a bowl and rub in the fat.
- Mix together the buttermilk, bicarbonate of soda and cream of tartar.
- Gradually add the liquid to the dry ingredients and mix with a fork to make a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured board and knead the dough lightly until smooth.
- Shape into a round and place on a greased baking tray.
- Mark into sections and brush the top with milk.
- Bake in a moderate oven for 30-40 minutes until well-risen and golden brown.